The “Base64 Decode Online” is a free decoder for decoding online Base64 to text or binary. In other words, it is a tool that converts Base64 to original data. This online decoder is as smart as it is simple. Its superpower is the ability to automatically detect the encoding standard. Thanks to it, this converter allows you to “decrypt” some Base64 strings, even while other online or offline decoders are powerless and cannot decode them, because they support only the “main” standard. If you are looking for the reverse process, check Base64 encode.
Standards accepted by online Base64 decode tool
To claim the title of “best Base64 decoder”, it supports the following standards:
- Main (used by default by everyone and everywhere)
- MIME (the output is splitted into fixed 76 line-length and is used to encode email content, such as files, or non-latin letters)
- ASCII Armor (used by OpenPGP, is identical to the Base64 for MIME, but appends a checksum of input)
- Base64URL (unlike other standards, the output of this standard can be safely used as a filename or URL)
- IMAP (used by Internet Message Access Protocol as mailbox international naming convention)
- PEM (a deprecated standard originally used by the Privacy-Enhanced Mail protocol)
- xsd:NMTOKEN (provides safe strings to be used as valid XML Name Tokens)
- xsd:Name (provides safe strings to be used as valid XML Identifiers)
Character encodings supported by Base64 decoder
Moreover, it can decode strings encoded using the following character encodings:
Why the Base64 decode online tool accepts invalid characters?
By default this Base64 decode online tool strips characters outside of Base64 alphabet thereby allowing to decode Base64 strings even if they are unacceptable in terms of standard. For example, this avoids errors if the Base64 string was copied with extra spaces or punctuation marks. Yu can easily turn off this feature by enabling the “Strict Decoding” option.
Additional tools to decode Base64 string
There are also some additional Base64 decoders that are specialized for decoding a certain type of data: